Sunday, March 29, 2009

G is for Georgiana


Best G Names: Girls

Lit Names:
Georgiana. Decadent, I know. But Georgiana is one of the plushest, most richly textured names around, and the irresistible nickname Georgie is hard to beat. Georgiana was the much-loved little sister of Mr. Darcy in Pride and Prejudice. Runners up: Garnet (“Thimble Summer”) peaked 100 years ago when gemstone names—Pearl, Opal, and Ruby—were at their shiniest.

International Names: Ginevra: An “Atticus’ discovery, Ginevra is the Italian spin on Guinevere, King Arthur’s queen-consort. In my mind, it’s got all the lavish beauty of Gabrielle, #38/Gabriella #67, in a far more creative and original presentation.

Celeb Name: Just because she is my hero and all-time favorite actress, here’s a shout out to Emma Thompson (I refer to her as Queen Emma) and the name she gave her daughter, Gaia. As I burbled in “Atticus”: “This true iconoclast is well suited for a child who gobbles palak paneer as her hot dog munching playgroup stares in fascination.”

Ugly G Names: Grizelda, and Gunhilda. Thank you notes to, whom else? The Germans, my people. Double dog dare you to name some twins with these doozies. Everyone can call them Griz and Gun!

Best G Names: Boys

All Categories:
George. People, did any of you know that George was 147 in 2007? That’s so cool. Just like Henry and Max, George is one of those old Grandpa names that is starting to sound hip again (Henry and Max have sounded hip for quite awhile now.) I just read that Julia Roberts wanted to name her baby George (she named him Henry). But that she was worried everyone would think she named him after her buddy, Mr. Clooney. Also, Geo is an old fashioned nickname that sounds futuristic to me. Gus: Gus is the new Max, a homespun, so fuddy duddy it’s funky little name. But you know me. My advice is always to give the baby a full name and use the fab nickname til the cows come home. Some names from which Gus can be extracted: August, Gustav, Angus, Gustavo.

Lit Name: Gulliver: Well, why not I ask you? It sounds like Oliver, has a bouncy Irish surname sound everyone is so nuts about, and heck, you simply can’t beat the rollicking literary evocations of Gulliver and his adventuresome travels.

Bible name: Gideon: Fearless, brawny, fresh and bold, Gideon gives parents a pass from generic biblical baby naming. Runner up: Gabe

Other G names I like: Griffin, Gordon (a hockey tribute name?),
Grayson.

2 comments:

Cook Family said...

I love Gideon. Reminds me of the Christmas Angel in one magic christmas. I would totally name my son that. :)

If you haven't seen the movie, it is a good one, but SAD!

Lorilee C said...

You must have had your baby! Congrats! What did you name it?
YAY!