Sunday, January 4, 2009

D is for Dashiell

D is for Dashiell

Girls

Best Lit Name: Daisy, from “The Great Gatsby,” is as bright and cheerful a name as any, short of Sunny (Adam Sandler’s baby daughter). It’s a warm and wonderful name, popular in England and just waiting to be plucked here. Meg Ryan’s little girl from China is Daisy True. Runners Up: Delia, Doone, and Dorothy (same era as Violet, and due for a comeback).

Best Bible Name: Delilah: I know, she was a bit of a fast and loose lady, with no redeeming story, ala Rahab or Tamar. But as a name, Delilah is romantic, old/new school, and fabulous. Interesting story: When my dad ran his bookstore, he had a longtime employee named Lydia who became our dear family friend. She died around 20 years ago now—hard to believe. Anyway, good old Lydia was raised on a honey farm in Blumenort, Manitoba, with sisters all bearing Bible names. I can only remember two others, Sarah and Delilah. It struck me even then that these super conservative Mennonite farmers had named their daughter after Samson’s temptress. If it’s wholesome enough for a Mennonite bee farmer girl, it may be wholesome enough for anyone. Runners Up: Dinah (although she is my dog!).

Other D Names of Note: Delaney, Delancey, Dabny, Delphine

Boys

Lit Name: Dashiell: I know I blithered on about several names (okay, like, 100 names), in “Atticus,” but the one that may take the cake in terms of my gushing is Dashiell. It’s so singular, so fresh and bold and zippy and handsome…here I go again. Why don’t I just recount what I wrote in the book? “So let’s tally up the pros here—art deco panache, celebrity pick, fabulous animated movie tie-in—and we’re talking name perfection.” I’m referring, of course, to the 1930’s detective novels by Dashiell Hammett, Cate Blanchett’s little boy, and Dashiell “Dash” Parr from “The Incredibles.” And folks, this name hasn’t even cracked the top 1,000 yet, as of 2007. Runner up: Dexter.

Bible Name: Darius: One of my journalistic heroes, Christiane Amanpour, CNN’s chief international correspondent, named her son Darius a few years ago. She’s Iranian, so I thought her choice of this Persian king’s name was particularly apt. Darius the Mede, by the way, had the good conscience to feel terrible when jealous staff members tricked him into throwing Daniel into the lion’s den (Daniel 6). Darius means “He who upholds the good.” Runner up: Daniel!

Irish Names:
Darby, Declan and Dermot all sound super fresh and vividly Irish, if that’s your aim.

4 comments:

Wally Harrison said...

I have to vote Dale, due to it being Sawyer's middle name which was given in honor of my dad. I also like Devin too.

Unknown said...

I love Dagny, as in Taggart. It seems to me to have more substance than Daisy. (As do the respective books.)

Lorilee C said...

Dagny Taggart DOES have substance. Good point, Marc and Jen! And Wally, any name that ties you to a bleoved family member is a winner.

Jen DenOuden said...

I'm a bit biased toward the name Delaney. This past June, I had my second daughter and this is her name. I've always loved Laney as a nick name. And we are nickname people (despite me having the name Jennifer which has so many variations!). We added the "De" because, quite honestly, it's cute with her whole name (Delaney Marie DenOuden). And the "De" is also after one of her aunts (her aunt has "Dee" as part of her name).